This church started as a Swedish Baptist Church in 1898 originally in Cambridge, MA. It later was known as Evangel Baptist Church, part of the Baptist General Conference. In 1948 the foundation was laid for the building at the current site in Belmont.
The name was changed in the late 1990’s to Open Door Baptist Church. It is an independent Baptist church, cooperating in fellowship with the Baptist Bible Fellowship International and other churches of similar faith and practice. The current pastor Bob Butler began church ministry at two storefronts in north Cambridge prior to locating in Belmont. Since that time the Lord has been Building Lasting Relationships in and through Open Door with people from Belmont and the surrounding communities.